Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pushing Buttons

Are you sure we can’t knuckle the knuckleheads in schools?  I’m not a violent person, but there are days, boy I tell you!  Those are the days I have a brief inside argument that goes like this:
“Child of God, Lindsay.  Child of God.” 
“Yeah, but not a good one!”

I have a private little laugh and lighten up.

I’m not the only special ed teacher who has this big group of big boys with big mouths and little ears.  They talk while I’m talking, barge large and loud into the room after the bell and argue about their black hoodies that aren’t part of the dress code and question over and over, without movement, why I want them to sit in a seat away from their buds who keep talking to them while I’m repeating for the 5th time that they need to move.  It’s a blast!  One knucklehead in particular really pushes my buttons, so I push his: the security button, and off they go to 135, the disciplinarian.  This week Dion wouldn’t shut up while the other knuckleheads actually buckled down and worked and thought and questioned the text rather than my authority.  Finally I pushed the button on Dion but was disconnected. I tried to walk him down to 135 myself, but he refused to follow.  I hailed a security officer and ranted about Dion.  For some reason, her silence spurred me on to rant harder, as if I needed to convince her I was in the right.  I guess I was hoping for some affirmation from her.  Instead of affirmation, I think she got confirmation that I’m an out of control lunatic. 

After a day suspension, Dion returned and refused to move to a different group.  “Why?” he asked about ten times.  I answered, “Because I’m the teacher and I’ve decided that’s what is best.”  He said low, under his breath, “Mother fucker.”  Then he shared his inner most feelings and desires with me.  “I don’t even like you.  Get out of my face.”  I pushed the button and he walked out before security came.  Finally my small group could work.  But, no.  Dion and that same security officer showed up at the door wanting to patch things up.  She asked why he was sent out.  This time I acted a bit cooler, even though I couldn’t believe my class was being further interrupted and my decision was being questioned by someone other than a knucklehead.  When I told her that he cursed at me, she said to him sweetly,  because she is indeed sweet, “You didn’t tell me that you cursed.”  Off they went to 135.  My small group and I finally got to work for the second half of the period.

These kids sometimes have access to my button; it’s labeled Ego.  When I take it personally, when I think I’m a failure because I can’t control the uncontrollable, and when I join someone in questioning my decisions, I truly am a lunatic—a knucklehead.  

I know we’re all born naked, needing unconditional love, eventually needing personal power and dignity.  I know we’re all learning how to grasp and hold onto to those securities, and that some of us are born into abundance but others into a poverty of these needs.  When Dion returned to class the next day, I was welcoming and hopeful. He was cooperative and engaged.  That was easy because we were just watching the first movie of the year after taking final exams, so what’s not to cooperate with?  But he sat next to me and said, “This movie is raw!”  I love that we can start over every day, he and I, that we can keep trying to find what works for ourselves and each other.  I love that I’m not in this quest alone, that we’re both children of God, good ones.

This morning I’m making a healthy, colorful, protein filled breakfast that’s sure to sustain my power through the morning. 

Purple Cabbage with Turkey Sausage and Mushrooms
1-2 T. oil (I use coconut or sunflower oil)
6 or so slices of sweet onions cut in half
1½ to 2 c. purple cabbage, sliced
1 small package of white mushrooms cleaned and sliced
4 turkey sausage links
salt and pepper to taste

Sauté onions for a few minutes then add mushrooms, stir and cover for a few more minutes.  Add cabbage, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for two to three minutes. Add turkey sausage. Cover and cook until the sausage condoms start rolling off.

Remembering that we are what we eat, take in the color and strength of this dish.  Now aren’t you beautiful?  Aren’t we all?  

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how the "Four Agreements" plays into this situation. I don't know how it can deal with a teacher's situation, which just is so challenging. I don't know how to avoid getting "my buttons" pushed as, although I am not in the most challenging profession that there is, like you, I have also been where someone has got me screaming like an idiot.

    Sometime we can not have the answers at the time we need them. But you are always able to look back, at least, to learn for the next day. You have special skills when working with these young folks, but it is still a challenge I can tell.

    Thanks for sharing. Thanks for giving me an idea of what it is like to be in the classroom. Thanks for being there, where our most talented teachers (that is you) need to be. You are performing a service to these young folks that is immeasurable.

    And, as always, thanks for the great recipe. I will never go hungry nor go long without a delightful meal, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete