Sunday, June 17, 2012

Boundaries and Hills


On old country song:

“Get your boot off my forehead
Please just move along
Well, I hope that by mornin’
This imprint is gone.” 

OK, it’s not an old country song; I made it up.  And I love belting it out with that sultry, southern accent with s’s that sound more like zh’s.  I think it’s really my theme song.  I used to have this image of my post-menopausal self.  I would be honest, bold and take no gruff from anyone.  Darn it!  I’m not there yet.  It’s all about setting boundaries, which has never come easy for me.  From one of my earliest memories to just yesterday, my boundaries are diffuse and permeable.

When I was about three or four years old, I was playing with my older sister and lots of neighborhood kids in the dirt hills near our house.  Everyone but this older girl and I left on a mission.  We were pretending she was my mom.  I wanted to leave but she made me lie face down in the dirt.  She kept yelling at me to stay down.  I felt trapped and didn’t know I could get up and leave.  All I knew was I was scared and unhappy.  I wanted my sister to come back and rescue me from this mean girl who controlled me.  Now, over fifty years later, when I find myself in the dirt, I’m still trying to find my options. 

One of the hard parts in establishing boundaries for me is I see the other side.  My empathy leads me to adjust easily to other people’s sense of humor, their interests, their manner of touching and proximity, and I even find myself reflecting their sitting or standing position.  All of this is unconscious.  But recently, because I’ve become aware of it, I look for it.  It’s so funny to find myself sitting across from someone, comfortably mirroring them then melting into another position with them.  A beautiful, classy friend of mine recently expressed something similar when she said she walks into a room, reads the energy and evaporates because she so completely adjusts.  I know how she feels.  Just yesterday I asked a friend for support and immediately fell into the listening role, my MO.  And no big surprise, I found myself mirroring her posture to a tee.  Changing my posture was optional, but I couldn’t find a way to change my role.  Just like that little girl on the dirt hill, I couldn’t see my options. 

During this last week of school, teachers completed a survey on personal communication styles.  We attended a workshop that probably cost the school thousands of dollars so we could find out our personal communication styles.  Teachers were tickled reading their reports and most felt they were on target.  It was like reading our horoscopes, I thought.  We heard what we wanted to hear.  One paragraph from my report stood out and is exactly what I’ve been facing with new glasses for the past few weeks, or months, or years, I suppose.

Given her empathy for others, Lindsay may seek to look out for their interests. As a result, she may resist making demands upon them or even setting firm deadlines or expectations.  She may fear that to do so might be taking advantage of them or subjecting them to unfair pressure.  Of course this concern about taking advantage of others may make Lindsay more vulnerable to others who may seek to take advantage of her.

Exactly!  Not that others try to take advantage of me.  But if someone offers you their head and says, “Go ahead; give it your best shot,” what else are they going to do?  This is so true of how I deal with my two legged and four legged house mates.  Get your boot off my forehead; I’m cleaning my glasses, rustling up my courage and looking for a way off the dirt hill. 

I know that besides empathy, arrogance keeps me down and dirty.  Where it gets murky is that I want the best for those I love, and I think that by making things easy for loved ones at my expense will prevent pain for them.  I bend over and offer my forehead to my daughter and her dog.  I want them to be happy, so I encourage her to keep her boyfriend’s dog here.  This way Cooper and Godfrey can play together and leave me alone.  But that often means I have another mouth to feed and dog to walk.  You probably are asking yourself why it means I have that responsibility.  Exactly!  “Now, where are those glasses?” she asked, rubbing her forehead.  It’s dirty business up on that dirt hill.  I vacillate between thinking I don’t want to work on this issue so everyone please leave me alone and the other attitude that I love these people and dogs and know how temporary this time is so maybe I can do this.  I know that soon enough my daughter, her boyfriend and their dogs will soon “just move along” and I’ll miss them.  In the mean time, I’m very slowly working on how to stand up, protect my forehead with love and remove my arrogance by giving back the life lessons to their rightful owners. 

I’ve been given an opportunity to practice this challenge even more by opening up my home temporarily to my sister and my mentally handicapped niece.  My sister comes with two dogs that are easier than the other two staying here.  She also comes with a dining room full of craft supplies so she can spend her days making beautiful, original cards.  She helps me take care of the dogs when my daughter’s not around and shares in caring for my dad.  My niece comes with bubbly, sweet energy and is so flexible about where she sleeps, what she eats and what we do.  In that way she helps me by example.  So now I have a home, barely big enough for me, my food, my furniture, my mail, that is filled with five people, four dogs, mail for seven people—don’t ask—and food for everyone.  I’m mostly succeeding, at least with my sister and niece, at establishing my boundaries and enjoying the fruits of our crowded community.  I’m lucky for the practice at establishing boundaries, for the joy of good company, and the gift of seeing these as opportunities rather than limits.
 
My daughter and niece planned to use the fruits of our crowded community by making banana bread today.  But my niece took off on a long walk, my daughter had homework to do, so I, being the sultry country singer, made the banana bread.

Banana Bread
1 3/4 c. unbleached flour
¼ c. wheat bran or oat bran
½ c. rolled oats
1 c. sugar
4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
4 T. sunflower oil
¾ c. almond milk
1 egg
1 c. chopped walnuts
handful of dark chocolate chips
1 c. mashed banana

Combine dry ingredients, add wet, nuts and chocolate chips and mix well.  Spoon into one large or two small loaf pans, greased and floured.  Bake 55 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees.  Do the toothpick or fork test.

If you make a mistake and undercook it, you still have options.  That’s easy to do and easy to remedy.  You can slice thinly and toast it in a toaster, toaster oven or broiler.  I suggest you extend your boundaries and your bootay with a little cream cheese on top.  The taste and texture will leave you with a delightful imprint you won’t want to wipe away.

3 comments:

  1. First, I got carried away like I sometimes do, so I broke this comment into several parts. Hope you still kinda git the idea.

    I love your country song – it is fun to make them up as they all seem to have the same tune. You did leave out a few key elements, such as a dog, a pickup truck, mama, prison, trains, getting drunk, etc., etc., but I guess they were not essential to your story so I will excuse you.

    It seems like you have hit upon most of the difficult topics in your posts, and this is a humdinger. Boundaries are a big part of life – being there or not there. Did someone create one for me that hardly allows me breathing room, or did I fail to establish one to keep someone a reasonable distance away? Very, very tough. Like you say, we even carry our hangups from childhood into this arena.

    You wisely point out that empathy is often a partner in crime with boundaries. Another tough area in which to operate.

    (I have to comment upon the excerpt from your report on communication – right, wrong, or indifferent, someone made a clear statement giving you feedback on your communication style. That is something that I never would have believed happened in CPS. Everyone needs to hear what others think about all or part of their performance in a relatively non-threatening way. This was good and it did express the opinion in non-absolute terms, allowing that this may not even occur.)

    But, anyway, … we are back to a recurring topic concerning boundaries. It is not easy for any of us – but you have identified the problem (which many folks conveniently leave out) and it is me! There was an old comic strip that used that line in some context about finding the enemy and it was us or me. I can’t remember much about it.

    So the problem is me, is it? You mean that I can’t make others happy unless I’m happy myself. That I can’t love others unless I love myself first? Some wise person with the initials of LJL explained that to me, and I think that she wrote about it in a posting with a real nice sayin’ at the beginning that kinda set the tone for her writing. Very learned person that LJL.

    So we can draw boundaries with our empathy in place if we love ourselves. How does that work? Well, if I love myself I look out for my wellbeing, health, safety, sustenance, responsibilities, etc., which I can take care of without hurting anyone else. You mean that if I don’t take care of the things I am responsible for, like keeping myself mentally and physically healthy and paying my bills, say, then I can’t help someone else do the same. Well that makes sense, I guess.

    I guess that first of all I am kinda setting an example for those I love about how a normal, healthy human being takes care of business. If I run myself ragged taking care of a house full of folks and animals and I get all anxious and stressed out and start yelling and getting short with folks, how does that help these folks and critters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 2

    Good question. You know, I don’t think it does.

    So how does empathy fit into this mess I got here. Well, I guess that if I start with the idea that everyone has to go through this like and love yourself thing, that will help them and me. Also, I guess that I oughta not yell it at them. Maybe I set some boundaries that move in towards me and let them know that’s agonna happen over a bit of time that I lay out for my sanity and healthfulness. No ifs ands or buts to it. Then they know that they gotta adjust. And perhaps my empathy and boundaries can be different for different situations. Like if I know if someone is at my place for a set period of time and they’re gonna go home cause they got a home to go home to.

    Hmmmn. Might work. Some of it’s kinda practicin’ what I preach. I want them to take of theirselves but I have to do that first. I know it’s not easy. Actually, it’s very hard cause other folks are in the same boat as me.

    Maybe I can figger out what the first step might be and try that. Just do it and see what happens. Then I see what the second step jus might be. You know some wise person once said that if you ain’t moving forward, then, by gosh, you’re moving backward. Heck, I’m a smart person, I am, and I think that I’d rather be moving ahead – that way a don’t have to worry what’s behind me – that’s stayin back there.

    So I want to thank you for that corn bread recipe there, it’s goooood.

    Also, Ms. LJL, I want to thank for talking about somethin that most folks don’t want to get down and dirty about. You sure are a real person, you are.

    I can’t write a good song like you did, but here’s a favorite of mine. Hope you like it. It’s got somethin about somethin in it, I guess.

    Well you tell me that you love me you make me feel so good
    But I don’t feel that you’re treating me the best way that you could
    Well I gave you all my money then you tell me to come around
    But all that’s waiting for me at your door is your overgrown bloodhound
    If you love me baby there’s just one thing I can see

    How come your dog don’t bite nobody but me
    Well he never bites the postman he lick the milkman’s hand
    But every time I come around he thinks I’m the booger man
    You say you need my loving but I can’t believe it’s true
    Or else you wouldn’t let that dog molest me the way you do
    Well if you love me baby there’s just one thing I can see
    How come your dog don’t bite nobody but me.

    Just pullin yere leg there darlin!

    ReplyDelete