Sunday, May 20, 2012

Tears and Laughter


“I would not exchange the laughter of my heart for the fortunes of the multitudes, nor would I be content converting my tears . . . into calm.  It is my fervent hope that my whole life on this earth will ever be tears and laughter.”  Kalhil Gibran

Of all the things I’m most grateful for in life, tears and laughter are at the top of the list.  I’m lucky that both come so easily for me.

A friend, Little Karen, who is no longer alive, said, “Tears are the raindrops that water the soul.”  It’s true that the lighter, cleaner feeling after a good cry is like the fresh smell and new air that comes after a rain.  On Friday, my students followed along as I read the final words of the author from Our America, a memoir written by two boys growing up in a Chicago ghetto.  Even though I’ve read it several times, it still moves me to tears.  My voice cracked and I could barely get the words out.  From the corner of my blurry eyes, I could see my all male class checking me out.  Finally I gave in to my tears.  “Miguel, you read.”  He finished seconds before the bell rang and the boys all brought their books up to the desk.  Armando patted me on the shoulder and said, “I hope your day gets better, Ms. Leghorn.”  What he didn’t realize is it just doesn’t get any better than that.  The only thing better than sharing great and true literature with a group of high school kids, is opening my heart with them as well.  And lucky me, I got to read and water the garden of my soul in my three self-contained classes that day. 

A man I know once said, “Someday all those tears are going to dry up.”  I know he was offering encouragement, but I said, “I hope not.” 

While crying helps wash away the heavy heat and humidity, laughter jiggles through my body, warming my insides.  It feels delicious, right?  For sure not all laughter gets you to your core, but when it does, it’s the best exercise program, better than tai chi, yoga and aerobics.  Yesterday my friend Gina and I spent much of the day together, shopping for the healthiest foods known to researchers, watching my daughter’s dogs play—a constant cause for laughter—and eating dinner made from those healthy foods, then left over homemade carrot cake to counteract the benefits.  We laughed a lot.  We could have argued our contrary points because we don’t see eye to eye on much.  We can’t talk about religion, politics, abortion, gay rights or evolution/creation.  But we have a Laura and Millie kind of thing going.  “What are you doing now, Laura.”  “Nothing, Millie.  What are you doing?”  “Nothing, Laura.”  Our day was free of plans and expectations, so everything was frosting.  And speaking of frosting, we had to have more cake because there were only two pieces left, you see.  That wasn’t even the highlight.  Our best moment came near the end of the evening when we pulled out our cameras to compare the speed from snapping to capturing. It was too hard to tell, so side by side we slid into our DDD (Device Distraction Disorder, a term coined by the always clever and lovely Susan) and looked through our separate previous photos.  When I landed on one I took of pink blossoms covering a sidewalk, I said, “Look at this one, Gina.”  She looked and immediately giggled, “Look at this one, Lindsay!”  On her camera was a photo of pink blossoms covering a sidewalk!  We fell all over each other in the laughter of magical surprise.  Before I even got out of bed this morning I laughed deliciously remembering the moment.
 
How rich life is with laughter and tears and memory to keep it alive!

You’re probably ready for cake, but I’m going to give you the healthy recipe I cooked up for Gina and me instead.  Don’t do as I do; do as I say.  Stay strong. 





Lotus Root and Shiitake Stir Fry
1 T. sunflower oil
1 t. sesame oil or sesame oil with hot pepper
½ large onion cut in large canoe shaped pieces
3 cloves of garlic thinly sliced or pressed
15 or so slices of lotus root (peel and slice thinly)
1 medium bunch of broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
2 to 3 c. of shiitake mushrooms cut into bite sized pieces
4 to 6 raw chicken tenders, cut in bite sized pieces (tofu, shrimp, and any other critters you don’t mind killing and eating are OK, too.)
3 leaves of kale, chopped
2 T. of tamari
1 T. blue agave syrup
Salt, pepper and hot cayenne or red pepper flakes to taste

You can find lotus root at an Asian market in the produce section.  It’s a smooth peachy color, sometimes two attached end to end.  It has a starchy quality like a potato.  Heat oil and add onions, garlic and lotus root.  Brown a bit on both sides before adding the broccoli.  Add the mushrooms tamari, agave syrup and spices.  Kale needs only a minute or two.  Fold it in and watch how quickly if softens and fits in.

Serve over brown, red, or black rice.  Almost as delicious as laughter, and nearly as renewing as tears.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, as usual. Tears and laughter, they can come quickly, without warning, or telegraph their arrival from afar. I hope that your tears never dry up nor your laughter never ceases. A great day, and another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete