Monday, April 2, 2012

Fences


For about seventeen summers, I’ve worked in my backyard, improving it bit by bit.  I started by tossing wildflower seeds in the dirt next to the house.  Each year they grew and spread and became the main source of color, attracting bees and yellow finches.  I’ve added dahlias and lilies, relocated plants for better light, and feasted on blackberries, purple pole beans, peppers, kale and tomatoes.  Luckily my lawn has been strong and has held up every year.  Until now.

Since my daughter and her dog moved in last August, my backyard has become a dump.  A perfect circle of dirt, Cooper’s race track, turns to a mud track that’s hard to avoid on a path to the garbage.  Oh yeah, and the garbage!  There are pieces of plastic planters splintered all over.  Every plant, bush and inch has been peed on.  Sticks and branches are strewn about and accented by poop piles and a not so stuffed stuffed bear.  Oh, it’s lovely!  On those warm days we had a couple of weeks ago I sat out there and grimaced for a half hour, reinforcing wrinkles.  Ugh!

I thought my yard could take it.  I thought its integrity could withstand the challenge.  I knew I was taking a chance when I agreed to the new arrangement.  But Cooper is a dog with great needs.

Likewise, I had hoped I’d done enough ground work to withstand the challenges of living with my daughter again.  But so gradually, we’ve eroded some of the ground covering we fertilized over the past few years living apart.  Parts of our relationship are hardier, like our sharing frustrations and joys about other relationships and daily events.  We bloom in laughter at ourselves and each other.  And we love nestling up together to watch Ally McBeal or Arrested Development on Netflix.  But I haven’t cultivated enough integrity to stand up to the continual treading over familiar, vulnerable territory.  We’re tracking bits of mud around the house, making my home feel unhomey at times.  I feel I’m the only one cleaning up after our messes.

The only way to reseed, I’m afraid, is to do it out of harm’s way, so the seeds can take hold, strengthen and spread.  And just when I finally come to that decision to give a month’s notice, my daughter gets sick and I can’t tell her.  We spend an evening together, cuddling, laughing, loving.  I’m thoroughly entertained by Cooper and his best friend Godfrey wrestling in my front room, scratching my wood floor, snagging threads on my couch.  My decision is dampened. 



Finding the balance between my serenity and the needs of my beautiful but needy roommates is no easy task for me.  I want Cooper to be happy.  I want my daughter to be happy.  I want my home to be my respite where I can be at peace.

Wise women tell me, “When you don’t know what to do, don’t do anything.”  I’m thankful for that permission.  In the mean time, I’m going to meditate, remember my faith in Good Orderly Direction, and maybe go buy some seed and fencing.  If I take on one little area at a time, seed and weed and fence it off for protection, remembering the bit by bit that I started with, maybe we can be good neighbors in one home a while longer.

Here’s my pasta loving daughter’s favorite dish. 

Stuffed Shells
1 package of jumbo shells, cooked and rinsed.  Leave them in cold water until you’re ready to stuff them so they don’t harden.
2 to 3 pounds of ricotta cheese (I use low fat.)
¼ to 1/3 c. grated Romano, parmesan, asiago cheeses (your choice)
1 eggplant peeled, cubed and sautéed in olive oil with oregano and basil, salt and pepper (I used to mash it to hide it in the cheese when my kids were young and wouldn’t eat green stuff.  Call it an invisible fence.)
1 package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed
About 3 cups of your favorite red sauce (I like vodka sauce.)
1 cup or more mozzarella, grated

In a large bowl, add dried grated cheeses to ricotta to taste.  Mash or leave in chunks the eggplant and fold in.  Squeeze liquid from chopped spinach and fold it in (not the liquid, the spinach.)  Now carefully spoon cheese mixture into shells, filling completely and maybe even a little rounded.  Arrange them in a large baking dish and spoon sauce over the top.  I usually spoon lots on one area for those who like lots of sauce and a little on another for those who like only a little.  Another invisible fence.  Sprinkle grated mozzarella on top, again varying the amount according to the needs of you and your partakers.  Cover with foil or a lid if you have it and bake for about 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

It’s easy to go overboard on these because they go down so easily.  But take it easy; it’s harder to keep a balance when you’re wider at the beam.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lindsay,Sometimes the best action is no action.
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite your frustrations, I see such joy in the special times you have with your kids. Cherish those moments and focus on those when you have to bend over and pick up poop or when you have to clean their muddy feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another episode I skipped commenting on the 1st time around - also very challenging. There will be time in a future year to work on your yard and garden in it, so that is the least of the problems. However, the balance of your serenity with the needs of your roommates is another story.

    Your home is warm and comfortable and it reflects your kind heart and all of your other wonderful attributes. It is truly the most welcoming home that I have ever been in, and I hope to visit again sometime. The superficial is not important, like the scratches on the floor, it is the spirit that pervades your abode that is enchanting and must be preserved.

    Your meditation is always helpful, as you relate, and doing nothing for awhile will work...for awhile. But I think that you hit the nail on the head when you talk about balance. How to achieve it with someone you love so dearly, and who is needy. I am sure that your meditation and prayers will enable you to develop a kind and effective plan. Whatever boundaries, time limits, restrictions, or ideas you think of will work, and will be understood by your daughter at some time.

    I think our children in their 20's have a difficult time in appreciating what their mom and dad have done for them, and it is also a time when we parents feel guilty about all we didn't do for our kids in their formative years. We both need to gain perspective and the kids need to mature a little and see the real world on their own. For that reason, I think that it is good for there to be a little separation between parents and kids at this time of life.

    Whatever you decide to do will preserve your sanity, and will be very important to your daughter's growth as a person. Each of us is in control of our very own self, and your actions will demonstrate how important that is to your daughter. Your peace and comfort in your own home is a key to your well being, and to the kind spirit that you have created there.

    Thanks again for sharing your wisdom and thoughtfulness in a situation that we all face in some manner or other in our lives. You continually set an example that, even though we are sometimes unsure of what to do and have our own weaknesses to deal with, there is always a way to confront and resolve a problem is a way we can live with. You are a special person.

    Thanks for another great recipe.

    I had your salmon dish again, and it does work. Have you had it recently?

    ReplyDelete