Friday, November 11, 2011

Watching the Ripples

"Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love."   — Mother Teresa

Like many, I have always wished I could make important changes in the world.  Mostly I want to end war, abuse of the vulnerable, and meanness.  When someone is in need, I’m a sucker to jump in and help.  Sometimes I feel pulled to sign up for the Red Cross in Africa, or Doctors Without Borders.  “But you’re not a doctor.”  “I’ll go to med school and become one.  I want to help!”  But then I remind myself that I do small, important service five days a week.  Every day I throw pebbles into the pond.  I don’t get to see the ripples reach the shore, and sometimes I even forget I’ve tossed them into the water, but if I’m watching carefully, I see them wave off in a positive direction.

This day my son came downstairs and asked, “How hard is it to make your sweet potato pie?”
It’s really complicated. 
“Why don’t you make something easier?” I suggested.
“It’s so good!” he said.
He said he’d give up break dance practice so he could make it for a pot luck party he was going to that night. 
“How much money could I give you to—” 
“You’re not going to get me to make it!” I jumped in with my dukes. 
“No.  How much money can I give you so I could use some of your ingredients?” 
I breathed. 

He wanted to use my flour, vinegar (“Vinegar?” he cringed), spices, baking powder and soda because he didn’t want to buy all that stuff he’d never use again. And he wanted to make it all in my kitchen.  My first thought was of the inconvenience, and then the suspicion that he’d try and rope me into it.  But again I breathed, and thought of his good company I’d have for a couple of hours. 

Every step of the way he griped about how complicated it was but remained determined. 
“You can make the crust while you wait for the sweet potatoes to cool,” I said.
“Oh, the crust!  This is so complicated.”

He sifted the flour and salt and measured the oil and water.  I volunteered to mix and roll out the dough because, well, I want to end war.

He got the pie in the oven right about the time the party was starting.  In that hour or so, he showered, I napped in preparation for my dancing date, and he practiced his cello for the first time in maybe a year.  It was a lovely night.  He even told me I looked nice when I changed into my date clothes.

Riley headed for the door with a hot pie and unwhipped cream in his hands. I wished him luck riding the bus and said, “I hope everybody likes it.”

Out on the cold porch he said, “Thanks.  I hope everybody likes you.”

We laughed.

If I never do another act of service, I realize, it’s okay.  I’ve made a huge contribution to this world.  I gave it my son who carries on my complicated, effortful recipes for friends and some of my ingredients for a kind and loving life.  I see the ripples.  Off they go. 

Louisiana Yam Pie (The best!)                        

First make the Pie Crust
1 c. flour
¾ t. salt
¼ c. vegetable oil
2 ½ t. cold water

Sift flour and salt.  Make a valley in the middle.  Combine oil and water and pour into your little valley.  Gently, making each stoke count, fold in the flour around the oil.  The more you work it, the tougher your crust gets.  We don’t like tough crusts.  Lightly wet your working surface with a cloth and lay down a square of wax paper.  Place your ball of crust in the center and flatten it evenly.  Cover with another square of wax paper.  Roll out dough with a rolling pin, moving from the center out in every direction.  You will need to put some muscle into it, but not too much too soon.  Gingerly (This word is so strange to me.  Gingerly sounds perky and cute but it means carefully.  This is really the first time I’m using this word in writing which is why I feel a need to comment.  It’s my gingerly debut!) so, gingerly peel back the wax paper from the crust.  Pick up the crust from the bottom piece and turn it over the pie plate.  Work around the crust peeling the wax paper away. Fit the crust to the plate and even out the edges, crimping or forking for aesthetics.

Now for the good stuff:
½ c. whipping cream
1 t. soda
1t. vinegar—Vinegar!
2 c. sweet potatoes cooked
3 T. butter melted
1 c. sugar
1 t. baking powder
½ t. cinnamon
½ t. nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten
1 unbaked pastry shell
Additional whipping cream

Combine first 3 ingredients in small bowl.  Stir well and set aside.  Combine next 7 ingredients, in order, mixing well.  Fold in cream mixture.  Pour into blender and process till smooth.  Pour into pie crust and bake at 400 degrees for ten minutes. Reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

Serve with whipped cream, the real stuff.  Use a little vanilla and powdered sugar at the end of whipping.  This pie is so amazing, so be prudent or the only ripples you’ll see will be hanging around your middle!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of your most beautiful pieces. It is so wonderful how you worked with your son, but he baked the pie. I can tell the strong loving tie that you have with Riley. You are right, the ripples spread far and wide, and you are still helping folks, sending out more ripples.

    Thanks for the thoughts and imagery.

    ReplyDelete