Saturday, September 24, 2011

Disney at CPS


"And the birds will sing
And wedding bells will ring
Some day when my dreams come true." --from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs







This school year and last I have some pretty sweet students. But that hasn’t always been the case. Because I’ve had classes full of ne’er-do-wells for the previous five years, I’ve gotten in the routine of praying each morning before leaving the house. I pray for an open and kind heart, for patience and compassion, and for open eyes and ears to notice the blessings of the day.

It’s easy to pray but hard to do my part in all those requests. I forget to be compassionate when a student comes in late to class, walks in front of me while I’m explaining the lesson and starts talking to someone about a fight he saw down the hall. I forget to open my heart when an angry boy is so mad at me for sending him to the dean that he stands two inches from my face and informs me with bulging veins that I’m a copulating female dog. And I’m blind to any blessings when security officers come in my room asking for some kid but can’t remember who so they stand inside my class talking loudly on their radio: “Who did you want again? Samira? What was that name again?”

But some blessings are just handed to us and even the thugs, like Eduardo, who sleep in the back of the class, can see them.

First period, the biggest challenge is getting the kids to do any work. Even the sweet kids tend to catch the highly contagious disease of “I’m too lazy.” But on this day a miracle woke us all up. A little green bird flew in through the window and fluttered above our heads. Most of the kids were mesmerized with oohs and ahs and oh he’s so cute, but one kid decided he needed to swat at it. I demanded that he sit down and asked someone to turn off all the lights and close the door. With passive obedience never before seen in first period, the kids watched as I opened the windows wide and pulled down the shades even with the openings. We watched and waited. Unfortunately, the poor little thing was attracted to the light shining through the transom and flitted against the glass above the door. I tried to reach up and swish him away back toward the window, but he just continued to flutter against the glass and rest on the wood trim.

I grabbed a stool and climbed up toward the little bird, hoping to guide him away from the transom. Slowly and steadily I reached out my hand, and since he didn’t stir, I gently grabbed him. He didn’t even flutter. He was so still and small inside my loose grip. I was amazed and at the same time felt like this was as natural as squinting in the sun. I climbed down from the stool, walked to the window, and with a flourish of my arm, released the little thing. He fluttered in place then off he flew.

The kids all gasped. Then Eduardo, with his flat I’m too cool for school voice said, “Whoa! You’re just like Snow White.”

At that I turned back to the window, leaned out with dancing arms and sang, “♫Ah ah ♫ah ah ♪ah!”

Our Disney moment passed and we, okay some of us, went back to school work.

Today and every day, when a student refuses to do any work, or someone talks over me, or swears at me, I can conjure up the time when I had Disney magic and held a little bird in my hand. Any maybe Eduardo and the others will remember that experience and will be a little softer in some way to someone. Who knows? Maybe even to me!

Mmm. Nah!

Let’s call all the chipmunks and mice and little bluebirds because I’m in the mood for pie!

♫Ah ah ♫ah ah ♪ah

Apple Pie

Double crust pastry (see Onions Cry Too, You Know, August 6th)

8 or so good sized apples: Avoid ones from wart nosed witches. They’re not to be trusted. Also avoid Delicious and McIntosh. Honey Crisp, Granny Smith and other tart, hard apples are best for cooking.

¾ c. sugar

2 T. unbleached flour

1 t. ground cinnamon

¼ t. ground nutmeg

2 T. butter

Core, peel and slice the apples if you can’t get the smiling mice to do it for you. Combine and add flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir into the apples. Dump it all into your nine inch pastry lined pie plate and dot with slices of butter. With a twinkle in your eye, ask the little bluebirds to carefully raise the top crust and flutter it over the pie plate. They’re good at laying it down gently on top of the apples, but you’ll need to cut the crust evenly around the pie plate so you can fold it under the bottom crust. Get the birds to make little tracks around the edge for aesthetics. If they won’t, pushing your index finger on one hand between your index finger and thumb on the other (like a worm into a beak) pinch the crust to make a nice pattern around the edge of your pie. You can also sift some cinnamon and sugar on top. With a sharp knife, cut a star in the middle of the crust for steam to escape. Place in the oven at 400 degrees for 50 minutes. Let cool for at least 20 minutes to a half hour before serving. It’s hard to wait, so you might want to step outside and sing to the squirrels.

Top with vanilla ice cream for extra calories and big dreams.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I want to be Snow White too! Only no kids just birds... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like I need to bring home more apples so I can enjoy the fruits of your labor. Ah a ah a.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful moment for you and the kids. Funny, it seems like you have a lot of those magical moments with your students because you do teach from your heart, and you are yourself, not an authority figure trying to force the kids into some kind of mold.

    Your job is very tough, but not without its rewards.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete